Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, February 15, 2016

Trust in Heaven's Timing!

Dearest family,

This week was one filled with heartbreak, healing, and hope.

Tuesday evening, we were informed by our zone leaders to get wifi so
we could read an important email from President. Since we have to walk
across the street to receive wifi from the library, we walked outside
and a sister from the ward was sitting in her car outside our front
door. She got out, and gave us a plate of cookies and said, "Sisters,
I'm so sorry about what happened..." Immediately we started panicking;
we hadn't read President's email yet. She sensed we didn't know, and
we told her we needed to get wifi across the street to read an
important email. She walked with us over there, and stood there as we
read these words from President and cried:

"I am deeply saddened to let you know that this afternoon in
Mecanicsburg, PA there was a tragic auto accident involving four of
our sister missionaries. One of our very best missionaries, Sister
Sadie Wells, lost her life in the accident. . . .
"As representatives of Jesus Christ we know that Sister Wells was
'transferred' to an even better place. But that does not eliminate the
pain and suffering of losing one we loved. . . .
"In times of trial and tragedy like this, we take great comfort in
knowing Christ's atonement will get us through this, like it does
every other heartbreak. Let us unite in rejoicing for Sister Wells'
remarkable life and service. Let us trust in the Lord's plan for this
beloved Sister."

I was in utter shock. I just sobbed. Sister Gunnerson was there to
comfort us, and I am so grateful for Heaven's timing in placing her in
our path just when we needed comfort from someone other than each
other. The rest of that night and the days following were difficult.
We still feel like we are in this strange limbo...to be expected,
though.

I didn't know her personally, but my heart aches for her family. Just
like that, she is gone. It dumbfounded me to think her mission and her
life could end so soon like that. But it's all in Heaven's timing. No
matter how hard it is to trust in that, I am doing my best. Our call
letters even state that our assignments may be modified...apparently
Sister Wells' assignment was to return Home. She fulfilled her
baptismal covenant "to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in
all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death"
(Mosiah 18:9). In the most literal way, she was a witness of Him until
her very last breath.

I've thought about timing a lot this week. That His timing, Heaven's
timing, is perfect. It may not always be perfect to our mortal and
imperfect eyes, but it's perfect. And for reasons we do not yet know,
Sister Wells had completed all her Father asked of her, and now is all
the way Home. How blessed we are to have our knowledge of the Plan of
Salvation. This gives me hope. We will all see Sister Wells again. And
what a joyous reunion that will be. Something tells me that in the
meantime, she will be working right alongside us, helping to further
the work of salvation here in the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission.
This knowledge brings hope and healing to my otherwise broken heart.

We are having a memorial service in her behalf tomorrow in State
College with other missionaries from our zone and other nearby zones.
Our prayers are continually with the Wells family, and the families of
the other three sisters. Two of the sisters (Sisters Douglas and
Faamaile) will be okay (they have much recovering ahead of them due to
serious concussions and other injuries), but Sister Young is still in
critical condition in the hospital. Please, please pray for them.

I don't really feel like I can say much more beyond what I've told
you, but I will update you on Roger and Dylan.

Roger: still smoke free, and staying strong. We are praying that he
will receive another position at work that would give him every Sunday
off, so he can come to church. Will you pray for that too? Thanks
bunches!!

Dylan: we taught him the Word of Wisdom...while sitting inside of
Dunkin' Donuts. Ironic? I think yes. But the lesson consisted of
following the prophet, obedience, and the W.O.W. We asked him if he
would live it, and he said he would try! I'll take it!! We've been
following up with him each day, and he's doing great "keeping up the
words of wisdoms" (from one of his texts ๐Ÿ˜‚). Please pray that he
will stay strong and keep pressing forward!

Oh! We are also teaching a little boy named Brenton who is getting
baptized in March as well! Woot woot!! Along with Brenton, I am still
super excited for these two to follow their Savior into the waters of
baptism.

We visited Sister Cรดte last night. She faced her second round of chemo
last week and is still going strong. She shaved all of her hair off,
so now she wears hats or wigs, goes without. It was hard to see her
like at, but at the same time, I could see a part of myself in her. We
sang "Beautiful for Me" for her and she loved it! She truly is so
beautiful inside and out--despite the lack of hair. Her inner beauty
shines far brighter and is greater than anything else. She continues
to inspire me.

In honor of Sister Wells, I will end my email like she did all of hers:
"Have faith, have hope, live like His Son, help others on their way."

And remember this: always trust in Heaven's timing,
Sister Bartlett
John 15:12-13 ๐Ÿ’•

PS: you's should go eat at Pizza Pie this week (from the 15th through
the 18th)!!! 25% of proceeds are going towards the families of the
sisters in the accident. Tell them your want to eat for the Pittsburgh
sisters. Spread the word, too!! LOVE YOU'S LOTS!!!!



                                                   Elder Hansen's last day in Sunbury





The Best Sis There Is :)





Lewisburg District:  Me & Sisters Meyers, Hokafonu and Elders Selfridge, Herzog
Sister Schofield, Elders Haroldsen and Saylor


No comments:

Post a Comment