Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, February 22, 2016

Do Animals have a Prophet?? + Growing Faith


Hey Family!
So...the subject of this email (the first half). I was literally asked
this question this week during a lesson on the Restoration. We were
teaching Gail (an inactive member) about prophets (she was so
fascinated by the concept), and she asked, "Wait. So do animals have
prophets?" I never thought I would hear that question in my life!
Something you need to know about people in PA: they love their animals.
Like LOVE them! A level of love that I have a hard time comprehending.
We answered her question, though she asked it about 3 more times. After
we answered her question the same way each time, she then proceeded to ask,
"Will animals have their own kingdom in heaven?" To which we answered,
"We don't know--we'll have to study that for ya!" Oh goodness. Bless her heart.

An amazing miracle happened this week!! Last Monday when we saw Roger,
he told us about a stumbling block he stumbled upon. He had the
urge to smoke, and so he tried to. But he prayed and all of the sudden
he felt really sick--to the point he couldn't finish the cigarette. He
knows the power of prayer is real, especially after that experience.
He is doing really well--please keep praying that he will get the
other job so he can come to church!

The memorial service for Sister Wells was moved to Friday due to
bad weather. It was absolutely beautiful--I will never forget it. It
was a wonderful way to gather together, celebrate her life, and find
healing through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I cried more during
that meeting than I have in a long time, but I feel healed because of
it. Sister Schofield and I sang "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul", and it
was a beautifully powerful experience for us. When President spoke, he
told us that Elder Bednar spoke at her funeral in Utah. He quoted
Elder Bednar, as during his talk he asked the question, "Why do things
like this happen?" Then he continued, "I don't know why. But I know
that God knows. And because I know that God knows, that's all I need
to know." Wow. Talk about powerful. I will never forget that. A few of
the speakers talked about the Plan of Salvation, and one mentioned
what it would be like to receive that call about your daughter, not
having a knowledge about the Plan. How devastating that would be; I
can't even imagine. Knowing that she lives on, and is fulfilling her
call to serve on the other side brings all of us the greatest comfort.
We are so incredibly blessed to know  about God's great Plan and to
have peace in this life because of it. The memorial gave me a renewed
strength yet again to press forward, to try a little harder, to be a
little better, to serve more whole-heartedly not only for the Savior,
but also for Sister Wells.

Her parents sound like the most Christ-like people. For instance, they
sent us each a pair of socks to remind us of her. (See picture) Here is
what it says on the card.

Sadie's Socks
Our daughter and sister Sadie loved being a missionary with all her
heart and loved serving with all of you in Pennsylvania. Sadie also
loved to wear bright and colorful socks. Just like each of you, she
would "pull on" her testimony of the gospel and love of the Savior
every day in "full and living color" as she "stepped out" to serve and
teach God's children. We wanted to send you our love and prayers with
a simple remembrance of Sadie as you carry on in your "call to serve".
We know that Sister Wells would want each of you to "press forward
with a steadfastness in Christ", having your "feet shod with the
preparation of the gospel", and planted firmly upon our shared
testimony "that He lives" as you invite all to "follow in His
footsteps".
Love, Lee, Pam, Bryton, Maisie and Olivia Wells

This week was slower because I was still recovering from being sick,
but I still saw so many tender mercies throughout the week. And they
came in all sorts of sizes and forms. A beautiful sunset. Banana bread
from someone in the Ward. A powerful Book of Mormon class. Thai food.
Powerful music that drew me to the Savior. Ward members reaching out
in love. I know that God is real. He is involved in the tiniest
details of our lives--those details that matter so much to us matter
so much to Him. He truly is the One in control.

The scripture I've been thinking about this week:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.
In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have
overcome the world." (John 16:33)

Though we all face trial and tribulation in life, I know without a
doubt that we can overcome all of it with the help of Jesus Christ. He
overcame all, so He can help us overcome all. Knowing this brings me
great comfort. I have seen the truth of it come to pass in my own life
and in the lives of people I know. It is amazing! The power of the
Atonement is ALWAYS there for us to draw upon, if we will but ask. It
is a real power that enables us to do beyond what we could ever do on
our own.

I felt that this week, as I was faced with a really difficult
situation. I knew I had to act on the promptings I had received, but I
was terrified. I seriously doubted I could do what He needed me to do.
I pled with my Father in Heaven to help me do what I couldn't do on my
own. I prayed for strength like I have never prayed for strength
before. And when it came time, He provided me with strength beyond my
own. I know that He heard my prayer, and He answered it. He loves me
so much, and wasn't about to leave me alone in my time of need. I felt
utterly weak, but He made me strong. I know that His power is so real,
and Heavenly help is available to each and every one of us when we
ask. I feel closer to my Father in Heaven and Savior because of this
than I have in a very long time. My faith grew immensely and I have a
newfound trust in them--faith and trust I have been striving to find.

This gospel is true--I know it with all my heart. My testimony of it
grows stronger each day as I study, teach, and testify, over and over
again. I don't know how I've made it this far in my life without all
of these faith-building experiences. I never want to stop being a
missionary. It is the best decision I have ever made and I will never
ever regret it. I pledge my life to Christ, to always serve and share and
testify of Him.

"Have faith, have hope, live like His Son. Help others on their way."

Make it an amazing week!! Remember who you are and that a sister
missionary in Pennsylvania LOVES you!! ❤️

With so much love,
Sister Bartlett


                                                         Sadie's Socks





You know you are in PA when........




Cake Shake to Celebrate 1/2 B-Day and 5 Month Mark!!






















No comments:

Post a Comment