Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, December 5, 2016

LIGHT THE WORLD!

Family dearest,

Well. The unexpected happened...I'm being transferred 😭😭😭...to the Washington ward. My new companion is Sister Kelley and she's awesome (though I can't tell you how sad I am to be leaving Sister Simpson 😭). She's been on her mission for 3 months and I got to go on exchanges with her a few months ago.

My new address is:

811 Frederick Court
Canonsburg, PA 15317

So if you're sending any letters/packages in the near future, please send them to that address. Thanks bunches!!

It has been *so* hard saying goodbye to people. This place has such a huge part of my heart and it's so hard to leave it here. When I first got here, I never thought I would come to love this place so much. My first transfer here was the hardest of my mission, and I had no idea it would get better from then on out. But it did, I am so grateful. Now this place, this ward, has such a special place in my heart. It is so hard to leave these amazing people, especially right before Christmas. But apparently Washington needs me, otherwise I wouldn't be going there. Trying to trust in Heaven's timing right now...it's just difficult at the moment...prayers would be greatly appreciated (:

On Thursday, was the big kick-off for the Christmas initiative. We spent the whole day doing service, and it was amazing!! We raked leaves, and caroled a ton. It was the most amazing feeling. Especially when we sang Christmas carols to the people in the nursing homes--that brought the sweetest joy to my heart. It was beautiful! Seeing their faces light up was absolutely priceless. (It's also been a super long time since I have sung that much in one day...but it was awesome!)

I'm skipping ahead, but on Saturday I was in Greentree on an exchange, and I got to see Sister Smego from the Beaver ward!! She is in a nursing home now in the Greentree area and it was SO good to see her. Her face just lit up when I walked into the room--as did mine. It was such a tender mercy to see her. Her health has declined so much since I left, but she just keeps pressing forward. She is amazing! I am so blessed to know her.

On Friday, we had our zone conference, and it was absolutely incredible. The Spirit there was so strong. We talked a lot about the initiative (it just gets better and better every time I watch it!) and how we can use it in our individual missionary work. As always, there was a lot of music and this time I was able to participate in two musical numbers--"O Little Town of Bethlehem" with Sister Morgan, Elder Foster (served with them in Beaver) and a few other missionaries, as well as singing "What Child is This" with Sister Simpson (video included). I feel the Spirit so strongly through music, but especially through Christmas music. The testimonies born of those returning home in the next month or two were so powerful. With each one, I am reminded over and over that I need to be doing all I can because this won't last forever. An end will come one day and I won't be here in Pennsylvania anymore. The thought kills me but I'm trying to let it be motivation to work harder. 

President talked about last Christmas how Sister Wells played "the perfect Mary" in the live nativity they had in Chambersburg, PA. He put some pictures on the screen and parts of her testimony she had sent to him in some of her weekly letters. I didn't know Sister Wells personally, but every single time President talks about her, I just cry. I'm sure she was there with us as we talked about her.

He told us that her dad is now bishop of their ward, and he is sending out a sister missionary that will be getting to this mission on February 8, 2017--one day shy of the year anniversary of the accident. How amazing is that? Definitely not a coincidence.

To end the meeting, he put up a picture of her in the nativity scene and we sang "Away in a Manger". I could barely choke out the notes because the tears were just streaming down my face. I can't really even describe it, but it was one of the most sacred and beautiful moments of my mission.

I know that our Savior lives. I know that He loves us each individually and so perfectly. He gave His life so that we could rise again, so that death would not be the end. I could never thank Him enough for that. I adore Him with my whole heart--He is my best friend, my Redeemer, my Lord, and my King. I am so grateful for this magnificent Christmas season in which we have the joy of celebrating His birth. Please do all you can to #LIGHTtheWORLD and reflect and spread His light this December. People need it desperately, and we have been called to share it.

Stay safe, stay warm. And make this week a beautiful one!! I LOVE YOU!!!

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever." (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

Sending love from PA,
Sister Bartlett xoxo

PS: no snow yet!! Can yinz believe it?! I am still hoping for a white Christmas this year...


                                                 Me with Sister Smego!




Sister Sadie Wells playing Mary in the Live Nativity - Christmas 2015



Went to Pittsburgh and rode the incline with Sister Simpson!



                               Sister Simpson and I at the lookout point - isn't this a                                                       Gorgeous view of the Pittsburgh at night!?!


                              


                              
Now in color - LOVE this city!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment