Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, November 9, 2015

Called to SERVE!!

Family!!! :D

I'll be honest, it was a rough week. Not a lot of success, and we just didn't get done what we wanted to. But it's okay. There are bound to be days and weeks like this in the mission--you just gotta hold on because better days are ahead. :)

Something positive I'm trying pull from this week is the service we were able to render. On Tuesday (we do this every Tuesday), we went to a nursing home to help the old folks play Bingo. It is always an adventure...some of them get so worked up about not winning to the point of swearing over and over...I just have to laugh. :D Some of them can't see their cards, so we help them move their pieces. Elder Stallings and Elder Hansen came with us which was great to have the extra help. I do enjoy it and it is easy service to give.

Another service opportunity we had: Along with the Elders, we went to a Baptist church and helped with the food bank there. I helped put boxes and cans into bags. It was neat and I was grateful I could help out. After that, Sister Talbot and I went to visit a sister in the ward because we felt like we needed to. We were able to help her eat bread and cinnamon rolls--something she had been telling her family she would do, but hasn't been feeling good so she hadn't gotten to it. It really felt good--I love being able to serve people like that.

Sister Talbot and I have also made an effort to tie in music to the messages we share. We have sung hymns a few times for people we go to visit, and it really is beautiful. Being able to use music and the gifts the Lord has blessed me with--it is wonderful!

This week I have been thinking more about my call as a missionary. What is interesting and something to note is that I wasn't called to teach, I was called to serve. And that is what my mission is about. Serving people. Yes, I am also here to teach and preach the gospel, but I am first and foremost here to serve.

That brings me to the next thing. We had a good district meeting this week--we watched Johnny Lingo (not gonna lie--it was awkward watching it with the Elders...)...but what Elder Stallings pulled from it to teach us was good. He said that we each need to see ourselves as "8-cow missionaries". ;D That is something I'm trying to work on. Trying to see myself in a better light and be patient with myself. That has been so hard for me. I know I am too hard on myself and beat myself up over the smallest things. I definitely need to overcome that so I can work towards improving. It's just hard. So, I'm trying to see myself as God sees me. And deep down, I know He loves me. He loves me, and because He loves me I am here. I am perfectly imperfect, but God doesn't make mistakes. I am His daughter. He sees me for who I can become, not for who I stumble to be each and every day. I will never reach perfection in this life. And that's okay. I don't need to be perfect now--just perfecting. Each and every day, doing my best. Be perfecting and be patient in the process. I invite all of you to do the same!!

That brings me to my next invitation: gratitude. A sister in the ward gave a talk about gratitude today and it really touched me. I realized I need to be much more grateful for what I have and what I get to do right now. Each night I am going to write down 10 things I am grateful for. Something to think about: God has given you 86,400 seconds in this day. Have you used one of them to say thank you? So, I invite you to express your gratitude!! On paper, verbally, in your prayers, the way you live you life--live it in a spirit of gratitude and you will see God's hand in your life. You will. And I promise you that blessings will be poured out upon you. I will be striving for this right along with you.

Pondering this week: Mosiah 2:21-22. :-)

So, keep your chin up! "Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come." (Elder Holland)

Have a wonderful week!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

Love,









No comments:

Post a Comment