Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, September 12, 2016

".....and I will give unto you success."

Yoo-hoo! Family!!

How goes it?? Before I get into the week, let me tell yinz about
transfer news. I'm staying in Pitt 3rd...SURPRISE! Ha ha Sister
Taunima is being transferred to Erie, PA  (her new companion is
Sister Stimpson -- the one in the maroon shirt in our district photos)
Man I'm so sad. She has been an incredible companion and despite how
hard this transfer has been, she has been keeping me sane. My new
companion is.... * drumroll, please * SISTER SIMPSON!!! (Sister T's
comp without the "t" ha ha ) I went on exchanges with her a few
weeks ago and her family knows Jeff and Natalie, remember? I am super
excited!!! She has a GORGEOUS voice, so we are going to sing ALL the
time. It's been a while since I've been able to do that, so I am
stoked. It will be amazing!!! Also, Sister Morgan (my baby!!!) is
going to be in my district!!! What are the chances of that?? It's
gonna be great!! Man, transfers are just super tough and I'm having a
rough time getting ready to adjust to this change. I'm worried about
"leading out" in this area since it has been kicking me in the
backside ever since I got here...but I know that somehow it will all
work out...somehow...keep praying for me please.

The title of this email is a little ironic (yinz'll see why), but
Tuesday was a powerful day. We volunteered at a food pantry at a
Methodist Church in the morning and then went to the church building
to study. During our companionship study, Sister Taunima shared Alma
26:27 with me:

"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back,
behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the
Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give
unto you success."

It was a message straight from heaven meant just for me--I needed to
hear it desperately. It was one of many moments I've felt recently
where I'm ready to give up and give out...but being comforted by the
Lord Himself and being reminded that if I just hold on and bare with
patience my afflictions, He will give us success. We haven't been
seeing much success, and it's been hard to keep going.

We had planned to try to see a few people, one was a less-active in
our ward whom we hadn't met yet. We did some tracting around that area
and talked to the people who were outside. We were walking to our car,
when the Spirit stopped me in my tracks. I turned around and just
stared at this one house. I felt like we needed to try it, so we did.
A young girl answered the door, and we found our her name was Melanie.
I started teaching her about and testifying of the Book of Mormon. We
shared Moroni's promise and invited her to read it. She shared how she
is really active in her church and thanked us for stopping by and
sharing our faith with her. It was a really neat moment. I look
forward to the day when I can see the seeds that I planted here in the
hearts of people in Pennsylvania and see how they turned out. It was a
powerful example of how the Lord is ready to give His missionaries
success if they just keep going.

On the other hand...we had five investigators drop us this week. FIVE.
How? What? Why? Boy oh boy. It's like these investigators are just
slipping through our fingers--as soon as we pick them up, they drop
us. It's rough. But five in one week--that has never happened to
either of us before...we must be holding some sort of record or
something. So...that obviously constituted for some froyo...see
pictures below.

You'll find humor in this: the old men here just love me. Let me
show you how...
- One time I got whistled at by a group of old guys (when I was on
exchanges in Franklin)
- One time I got hit on in the middle of a lesson (remember Frank? Enough said.)
- An older guy in the ward called me "frisky" ... What the heck??
(you have to know Brother Gigliotti...)
- At Bingo last week, an old man blew a kiss at me
It's hilarious. Kills me every time...bless their hearts

Aside from the tough parts of this past week, I've been reflecting on
the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Through it, we can repent,
which ultimately means to change our ways. Like Elder Holland said:

“It takes exactly as long to repent as it takes you to say ‘I’ll
change’--and mean it. Of course there will be problems to work out and
restitutions to make. You may well spend--indeed you had better
spend--the rest of your life proving your repentance by its
permanence” (“For Times of Trouble,” New Era, Oct. 1980, 11–12).

It all comes down to that change. And this week the Spirit taught me
that that change is even more real that I have thought it is before.
Because of Jesus Christ and His Atonement, I don't have to be who I've
been. I don't have to be the person I was yesterday, or five minutes
ago. I can decide right now to change, and plead for His help and
strength to do so. What an incredible gift. Realizing this, I am
finding more and more joy through repentance because I am just so
grateful for the gift He's given me to change every day.

Have a wonderful week!!! I LOVE YOU!!! ❤️❤️

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep
growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever."
(Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

all my love,
Sister Bartlett xoxo
Alma 29:9

                                  The District:  Elder Loreto, Sisters Stimpson, Taunima, me
                                                                DiBari, Elder McGee



There ain't nothin like Mama McClendon's fried chicken and cornbread
                                                                         #photobomb



Silly Missionaries!



Our last companioship date with Froyo :)










No comments:

Post a Comment