Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, August 8, 2016

Hope On. Journey On.

My dearest family,

Monday I said goodbye to Erin and her kids--they were by far the
hardest goodbye. I know I can keep in touch, it just won't be the
same. But like I said last week, I will always be one of her
missionaries and she will always hold a special place in my heart. ❤️
Tuesday I said goodbye to Sister Morgan and it was hard to leave her
too. I know Beaver is in good hands though, and she will continue to
do great things there.

Tuesday we had transfers and I got to see some people I had served
around when I was in Sunbury. It made me so happy!! Then I got in a
car with another sister and we drove to my new apartment. I had to
drive through Pittsburgh for the first time which was tricky. But
we made it safe and sound (it only took about 30 minutes from the
Greentree chapel). I'm pretty close to the city! and oh my goodness can
I just talk about my comp for a second? I LOVE SISTER TAUNIMA.
I have been overwhelmed and exhausted at times throughout this week,
but she is keeping me sane, ha ha and laughing ALL THE TIME. I adore her!

Also, there is a trend for sisters that serve in this area...they are
typically here for 4 transfers, or 6 months. If this trend holds true,
I will be here until January. How crazy is that?! That is insane for
me to think about. Also that means at that point I would only have 2
transfers/3 months left on my mission. Time is flying WAY too fast.
Also. Telling people I have been out for 10 1/2 months is the craziest
thing. I can't believe I've been out that long. Time really is flying
so fast!

On Friday I went to my first MLC (missionary leadership council). It
was a super long meeting, but it was also super insightful and
inspiring. I gave input, and I learned a lot--from the speakers and
the Spirit. One thing I did find out (which is so crazy)--within the
next 3 months, we are having about 46 new missionaries come in (20ish
will be returning home) so 7 new areas are opening up in the mission.
This means that a lot of missionaries that just started training will
have to start training after only being out 6 weeks. Bless their
hearts.

A few things I learned and felt during MLC:
>> The thing that will be of the most worth to me will be declaring repentance (Doctrine and Covenants 15:6)
>> Particularly when you are using technology, your heart is the only real filter you have to help you to use it worthily and righteously.
>> It's not about changing your behavior, it's about changing your nature. If you followed good habits during your mission and don't continue them afterwards, you have not succeeded.
>> "The Lord calls us to be leaders . . . When you're called, you're called . . . You covenanted to give your all." (President Johnson)
>> The Lord had called me to this leadership calling for a reason. Don't doubt it. And don't doubt the power of your influence over the sisters you serve.

It really was a fantastic meeting. I felt very blessed to have spent
it with many of the best missionaries I've ever known and President
and Sister Johnson.

The Pitt 3rd ward is incredible. I already love our Bishop, Bishop
Snow. He is amazing. We met with him yesterday and he stressed to us
the good that we are doing. He also said something that really stuck
out to me: "Don't think that anything is insignificant. There is
significance everywhere." Everything he said, I needed to hear. I look
forward to serving with him and the other members of this ward.

So this week, I met this less-active named Heather. She struggles with
a lot of things, but I am already coming to love her. I know it's
because I can see myself in her and I just have an even stronger
desire to help her. Also because I can see her as Heavenly Father sees
her which has caused me to feel an outpouring of love not only for
her, but also the love that He has for me. We had two really powerful
lessons with her this week and I felt the love of God for her so
strongly. One thing that is amazing about being a missionary is that
He gives you His eyes for a second...so you can see and feel just a
GLIMPSE of the love He has for these people as His children. I saw and
felt it for Heather and myself. It was amazing.

Kay, another awesome thing--there's this less-active lady named Anne
in our are. She is amazing. About 6 weeks ago, after 16 years of not
going to church, she suddenly felt the need to go back to church. And
she has been faithfully coming and meeting with the sisters ever since
then. I love her so much. She kind of reminds me of Marianne Jenson,
ha ha 😉 I love her to death!!

It has been a roller coaster of a week, but I know I need to "Hope on.
Journey on." as Elder Holland says. Keep pressing forward. Christ will
be there to make up where I lack and carry me when I have nothing
left. And I know He does the same for you.

Remember who you are and that a sister in Pennsylvania ADORES you!!! I
hope yinz have a good week!!! ❤️

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep
growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever."
(Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

lots of love,
Sister Bartlett xoxo


                                   Signed the chimney on my way out of Beaver!



My daughter and I



My first MLC



The Green Mango with her new comp Sister Taunima :)



Hope On! Journey On!





No comments:

Post a Comment