Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, February 20, 2017

"Sheryl, Where's My Teeth?"

My dearest family whom I love so much:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Valentine's Day package!! I definitely felt the love, so thank you thank you thank you!! What in the world would I do without you?! Yinz are literally the *best*

This week was definitely better than last. God is so good. And a few super cool things happened! I can't wait to tell yinz about them, so we'll jump right in!

So Sister Robison and I have been trying to involve more members in our missionary work and we got...drumroll...SEVEN team-ups this week!!! (The zone goal is 4 per week.) Man, we are so blessed. It was super super awesome possum!! These members ROCK.

GET THIS. So once upon a time when I was back in Pitt 3rd, a referral came in for a man named Brent. Sister Simpson and I went to see him one time, and she went a few other times when I was elsewhere on exchanges. He was super awesome and definitely open to meeting with us which was so refreshing! So fast forward to about two weeks ago, Sister Simpson tells me that Brent moved to our area! I was like NO WAY. Get out of town! But really, he did! So we called him up and set up an appointment. We saw him this week and just answered some questions he had about the great apostasy and Joseph Smith. I felt like I just fire-hosed information at him...but we tried. (I realized this week...or had it confirmed yet again: I AM a PA rambler. It's official. I've got the ramble *bad*. Ha ha I just fit in with these people! Maybe I should stay here forever...😂 ha ha) I get so excited about the gospel and sharing it with people that sometimes I just go and go and go...ha ha but sometimes I need to slow down and listen more. #workinonit

Ready for another story? This was so cool. It amazes me how subtle the Spirit is. On Thursday, we were in McDonald, PA trying to pop in on a bunch of people. We tried this one lady who was a referral several months ago. She wasn't home. Tried her neighbor, they weren't interested. Tried the next door, and we met the nicest man named Ron. Introduced ourselves and he told us he has a firm belief in Christ and goes to church every Sunday. Somehow the conversation led into the fact that they were boxing up and getting ready to move. I jumped at the chance and said, "Hey, do you need help with anything? Can we help you out?" He was so startled at my question and said, "Really? You would do that?" I said, "Of course!" Ron: "Do you have a phone number or something?" Me: "Yeah we do! Here, it's right on our card. Seriously, call us and we'd love to help you out." He was so grateful. "Man, I wasn't expecting this. God bless you, girls. Don't be surprised if you get a call on Saturday." We said goodbye and went on our way.

We told the elders about it and they were convinced he wouldn't call. "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" (Matthew 14:31) BECAUSE.... in the middle of our weekly Planning session on Friday...we get a phone call. (*just like in "The Best Two Years" when he's like, "Please bless that young man that he may call." *phone rings* "It's him." ðŸŽµ HALLELUJAH 🎵 ha ha ha too good.*) But really though! We give out our cards and offer help to so many people...you doubt they're gonna call. But Ron's wife Sheryl actually called! It was a miracle! So then we frantically sent out texts to the elders quorum and relief society presidents and other members trying to get the word out.

Fast forward to the next day on Saturday. We showed up to their house to help them, and the coolest part was that a bunch of members actually showed up to help out too! And boy did we need their help! We would have been there forever if it hadn't been for the members. It was incredible to see so many members of the church come out to help a family they didn't know from Adam. They ROCK. We helped them pack up the truck and then helped them unpack at their new house (which is still in our area!). They were *so* grateful. They thanked us over and over, it was so sweet. It was amazing, because Ron was asking us where our church is and we told him it was in Washington. He said, "We'll have to skip our church one Sunday and come to yours!" I told him they were welcome any time. It was so amazing.

SERVICE SOFTENS HEARTS, PEOPLE.

Here comes the funny moment. We were talking to Ron towards the end, and all of the sudden, he got a puzzled look on his face, sorta smacked his lips, and he shouted, "Sheryl, where's my teeth?! Did we pack my teeth? I need my teeth!" It was HILARIOUS. We were dying. All these toothless people...I just love 'em. 😂

A highlight of Sacrament meeting yesterday, was the musical number. Four little kids from one family sang a song titled, "Build an Ark". The lyrics touched me so much I had to share them (this song can be found in the September 2010 Friend):

Noah was a prophet, a man who did not fear.
When he taught repentance, the people would not hear.
So the Lord told him to build a boat
That could hold a ton and stay afloat.
Then Noah started building and said within his heart:
“I will build an ark before it starts to rain.
I will follow the Lord and do all things in His name.
I’ll prepare ev’ry needful thing. I will walk in righteous ways.
When the rain starts to fall on me, I’ll be ready for that day.”

I can be like Noah. Yes, I can be prepared.
I can build my ark, and I’ll find safe shelter there.
I can do the things I know are right.
I can learn and pray with all my might.
And then when storm clouds come, I’ll be safe within my ark.
I will build my ark before it starts to rain.
I will follow the prophet, for he speaks in God’s name.
I’ll prepare ev’ry needful thing. I will walk in righteous ways.
When the rain starts to fall on me, I’ll be ready for that day.

I just got teary-eyed listening because I needed to hear this so desperately! As I'm striving to see the good in my mission and how my mission is helping set my foundation for the rest of my life, it was so neat to realize during this song that I have built my own ark and God is preparing me for what's to come. But I'll be ready because I've built my ark. It was so cool to realize that.

Think about it, are you building your ark? Have you built your ark? Have you built your foundation on the Savior, the only One we can build ourselves upon and rely on if we expect to make it through this life?

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12)

It's never too late to start building that ark. It's never too late to choose Christ and build your foundation on Him. It's never too late to use His Atonement and change. You don't have to be the same person you were 10 years ago, last year, last week, yesterday, or even 5 minutes ago. You can choose to use the Atonement and change *right now* What a blessing that is! My love for my Savior and appreciation for His Atonement are things I cannot put into words.

Well, folks, that's about it. Know that I love you so very much and I hope this week is one of the best weeks ever!! Let's go save the world!! ❤

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever." (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

With so much love,
Sister Bartlett xoxo


                                       Sister Robison sure loves her Sloths!






Beautiful Sister's serving in Canonsburg, PA!!



                                   When the elders hand you a box of cookies
                                                 and you open it and this is what's inside
                                                                      #CREEPY 





No comments:

Post a Comment