Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, January 9, 2017

"You girls are the REAL thing!"

Oh buckets. (Ha ha...it's a Sister Kelley catch-phrase ;))

Family, this week was pretty good!! ...for the most part. Some days, not so much, but that's normal for mission life.  But let me tell you about it.

I'll get the not-so-good out of the way. We had the "drop talk" with our investigator Jessica. There's really no way for her to progress...anyway, big tears welled up in her eyes when we told her we wouldn't be meeting with her as often anymore and she said, "That hurts my feelings." Oh my heavens. I felt like the worst human being ever. Imagine the worst break-up you've been through--that's what it's like to drop someone. Worst. Thing. Ever. Anyways...the deed is done. No going back now. It really is the literal worst part of missionary work.

Oh that note, moving on to the happy things from this week! 

On Tuesday we had an *AMAZING* lesson with Mary Magdalene...ha ha JK. But her name really is Mary, and her last name sounds like Magdalene. Ha ha. We taught her the Restoration and it was such a powerful lesson. We asked her what she knew about Joseph Smith, and she said, "Well, I know that he passed out in the woods somewhere!" Ha ha too good. We had her read the first vision quoted in the pamphlet and she did, "Whoa! I didn't know there were two of them!" We told her we believed the Godhead is these separate beings, and she gasped. Then she whispered, "I think I believe it too. But I don't wanna go to hell." Oh my heavens...that was a first. Later she told us: "I don't see anything bad in you girls. All I see is blessedness. You girls...you girls are the real thing." It was the sweetest thing! I wish I could give you a complete play-by-play of that lesson because it was amazing. She is so prepared, and I am so excited to teach her some more!!

We also saw Ronald and Nancy again!! We taught them the Restoration as well and it was amazing. Ron has been church-hopping for a while, but he said that none of them every felt right. At the beginning of the lesson, he was like, "Where is Christ's church? Like the original church, where is it?" We told him we could answer that question. We taught him the Restoration and it was so good. The Spirit was so strong--and they described how they were feeling it. It was amazing. They are so prepared too, it's incredible. Also...*drum roll please*...they accepted a baptismal date for March 11th!!! WOOHOO!!!! Best thing ever!!! We are praying they will be able to make it to church this week!!

So...yesterday. Wanna hear the craziest thing?! We were in relief society talking about Joseph Smith and the first vision. I can't remember what question was asked, but this lady spoke up and she said, "We don't worship Jesus Christ. We worship Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. And that's the truth." My jaw dropped to the floor. Luckily, this lady spoke up and said "I worship Jesus Christ." She corrected her and the Spirit returned to normal. Thank heavens. It was probably the craziest thing I've ever heard anyone say. It was insane. Bless her heart...

So one night we had fun taking pictures with the photo booth app and took some great videos...enjoy!

Family, I love this gospel!! I know it is true with everything that I am. I know that Jesus Christ really stands at the head of this church and leads and guides it through a living prophet. I also know that our Heavenly Father is our literal father and He loves us so much. He and our Savior are so incredibly patient and merciful and loving and kind with our weaknesses and the mistakes we repeatedly make. How grateful I am that I can approach the Lord in humble prayer and ask for forgiveness anytime, anywhere, over and over again.

I hope you have an amazing week! Stay warm! Love you!!

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever." (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

sending love and a huge hug your way,
Sister Bartlett xoxo

                                       The District from Canonsburg!!



1 comment: