Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, April 11, 2016

It reminds me of a baby.....

Hey fam bam!

First let me explain this week's caption...You aren't going to believe this actually happened this week...
We were teaching this less-active named Lony. We were going over the restoration with her, and teaching her from the pamphlet. The front of the pamphlet has a picture of the Savior holding a baby lamb...this was our conversation:

"Lony, what do you think of when you see this picture of Jesus?"
"You know, it reminds me of a baby..."
"Oh...(thinking awh, that's sweet)"
"...with the nose of an elephant. With little tiny elephant hands. I saw it on the Internet somewhere..."

At this point I was mustering every part of me not to bust up laughing like crazy...we were able to get through the lesson and it ended up going well. But as soon as we stepped outside and were walking to the car, Sister Smith and I couldn't stop laughing...for about 10 minutes. Definitely in the top 10 funniest moments so far on my mission. Bless the hearts of these Pennsylvanians.

Anywho. 'Twas a good week. We taught 12 LARC (less-active/recent convert) lessons! It has been a while since I've been able to do that. It felt super great. Other than that, not a whole lot happened. I experienced my first Sunday in the ward, and though it was hard looking around and hardly knowing anyone, it went well! I'm excited to get to know the members here and work with them to bring souls to Christ.

I don't really have much to report on this week, but I really do love my mission. It is the best decision I have made, though it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Missionary work is exhausting and exhilarating at the same time--I just love it! It is the opportunity of a lifetime to study and teach and testify of the life of the Savior. I love Him with all of my heart. There is a feeling of constantly wanting to be better, but it's pushing me stretch and inspiring me to become the best version of myself. Nothing like being on the steep end of the learning curve. 

On a random note, I did try some yummy foods this week:
- An absolutely DELICIOUS cinnamon roll at Oram's (one of the top donut places in the country)
- The best fries I have ever had in my life at Heirloom (besides homemade, of course)
- Biscuits and gravy Sister Smith and I made! We were super proud of ourselves. No dinner appointments means see what you have in your kitchen and try to scrounge something up. It was really delicious!

A few other cool things about Beaver I forgot to mention in my other email:
- There's a bridge that's shaped like a Beaver...pictures will come in the near future...
- There are so many cobblestone streets--most of which are original!! It's way cool.
- I am discovering further why I was called to this mission, and even this area: all of the bridges! Ha ha. As you know, I LOVE bridges, and there are SO many here. I am in love.

So, I have a new favorite scripture. It is 2 Nephi 31:20. Lately it has been popping up literally everywhere, so I am taking it as a sign that I need to apply what it teaches. 

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a STEADFASTNESS in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, FEASTING upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

Isn't that just amazing? I know it's the theme for the youth this year, which is definitely inspired. On a side note, something that ties in perfectly with this scripture is a video we showed a less-active this week. It's titled "Daily Bread Pattern" by Elder Christoffersen. If you haven't watched it recently, go watch it!! It is fantastic. Also his He stresses something that is so so important: just like our bodies need physical nourishment, our spirits are in need of nourishment EVERY DAY. We aren't asked to nibble on the scriptures like an afternoon snack, but to FEAST on them like a Thanksgiving meal. There's a huge difference. I've noticed it in my life and want to strive always to feast on His words and let them sink deep into my heart and become a part of me.

To update you on the sisters in the accident:
Sister Faamaile: doing well with missionary work here in the PPM
Sister Douglas: recovering at home, and making great improvements
Sister Young: she has been moved to a hospital in Nevada and is going in for another surgery tomorrow due to more complications. Prayers would be greatly appreciated!

I love you all so much and I love this gospel. I love my Savior; I know He lives. We are so blessed to be apart of His church, the true church restored on the earth today.

I hope you have a fantastic week!! 

"Keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever." (Elder Holland)

With so much love,
Sister Bartlett
2 Nephi 31:20


                                             Cobblestone streets right outside our Apartment 


The Pittsburgh North Zone


Sister Smith and me and THE Fries :)



The BEST Cinnamon Roll at the BEST Donut spot!





No comments:

Post a Comment