Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yeah, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Alma 29:9

Monday, January 11, 2016

Opposition in all things......

Hey fam-bam!!

This week has had its harder moments, but it sure made me more appreciative of the tender mercies of the Lord.

We received a referral for Dylan, and each time we would call and set up an appointment to meet with him, he wouldn't be home when we tried. I felt like we needed to go try one more time, so we did. AND HE WAS HOME!!! It was fabulous. Gave him a Bible (what he requested), and a copy of the Book of Mormon, and set up a return appointment. We are going to see him tomorrow night. He really seems to be searching, and it is an amazing feeling knowing we have exactly what he is looking for. I just can't wait to share more of it with him.

Sister Côte. I haven't written much about her lately, but a few weeks ago, she received some heartbreaking news. She has cancer. It has just broken my heart, but I am inspired and determined to have complete faith in the Plan of Salvation. She does, so why shouldn't I? The other evening, we went to see her (we visit her twice a week). She told us about the treatment options they had given her. What they have decided is to do chemotherapy. In so doing, she is going to slowly lose all of her long hair. I hadn't told her about my brain tumor, but the Spirit prompted me to at that moment. I told her about my tumor and how I had to lose most of my hair. I don't always get emotional when I tell it, but I did then. Sister Schofield was emotional too, and after we left, she said something to the effect of, "Thank you for sharing that. I know in that moment, she felt understood and related to, even if it was just for a moment." It was such a humbling and beautiful experience.

A few nights later, we saw her again. We sang "Where Can I Turn for Peace?", and she had tears streaming down her face as we sang. The Spirit filled her trailer and it was beautiful. We shared John 14:26-27 with her and testified of the peace that comes through the Prince of Peace. Our time with Sister Côte this week was absolutely amazing.

Oh my music. Sister Schofield and I have been singing lots!! For people we're teaching, for members at dinner appointments, etc. In President's email to Sister Schofield last week, he said: "You and Sister Bartlett are the best singing companionship in the mission! I hope you are using those voices." Hahaha isn't that awesome?! I felt so humbled for a compliment such as this one. I look forward to singing LOTS with Sister Schofield during our time together.

The subject for this email is "opposition in all things". I faced opposition this week through the hardest/worst lesson up to this point in my mission. After we got back to the car, I broke down and cried, and Sister Schofield was just angry. We both felt so shaken--it was awful. After some time to recover, we got on our feet and got back to work. Actually that same day, we had our first lesson with an excommunicated member who was referred to us by his former bishop. I was so nervous going into it, but it was just the adversary trying to steer us away. We taught him and his wife, and we could feel the Spirit in their home, which was incredible. That lesson turned the whole day around, and it was amazing. It was one of the biggest tender mercies. After the hardest day, He was just waiting to bless us with an amazing and spiritual experience. We will be meeting with them later this week, and I am really excited.

In life, we know we are meant to face opposition. For without it, we would not be able to tell the good from the bad, the sweet from the bitter. One thing I can now confidently say is I have tasted some of the bitter, and also the sweet--and in so doing, I appreciate the sweet so much more. I appreciate the hand of the Lord and seeing it in both the better and easier times as well as the more difficult times.

I know that the Savior is always there. No matter how many times I stumble and fall, He is there. And every time, He picks me up, dusts me off, and says, "Let's try again." I have felt that over and over this week, and I know it's the truth.

My ponderize scripture this week tied in to what I've learned. It's Romans 5:3-5:

3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

This is such a beautiful scripture. I am coming to know that the following chain is a real thing: tribulation >> patience >> experience >> hope ... All of these things tie into each other so well. And we can have hope because of the love of God in our hearts. I love it so much.

Well, that's all, folks. Thanks for reading!!! LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK!!!!!!

All my love,
Sister Bartlett ❤❤️ xoxo

PS: I ran into Elder Cook from Vernal during the transfer change (when I got Sister Schofield). Just wanted to let you know if I hadn't already. You'll have to tell Robert and JoAnn haha :-)

                                                                    Sunbury Sunset 



Sister B's favorite treat in PA



The AF Sister's in PA 




No comments:

Post a Comment